Spiced Mackerel and Potato Salad
The strong flavour and firm flesh of a fresh mackerel holds up well to spicy recipes. You can even give it the Tandoori treatment if you wish. This recipe uses a more subtle spice mix and plenty of lemony flavours. I have included the warm potato salad recipe but you could use couscous, rice or warm bread to go with it.
For four (and you can do this just for yourself by dividing the quantities) you will need:
- 8 fillets of very fresh Solent mackerel
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed (or 1 teaspoon powder)
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed (or 1 teaspoon powder)
- Half teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Half teaspoon turmeric
- 2 lemons: one for juice, the other to slice for serving
For the Warm Potato Salad you will need
- 500g small new potatoes
- 4 spring onions chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- Bunch of fresh chopped parsley
Mix together the spices and lemon juice. Slash the skin side of the mackerel fillets and rub the spice mix all over, both sides. Leave to marinate for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the potato salad. Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes in salted water. Drain, and while still warm, mix with the parsley, lemon juice, zest and spring onions. That was easy.
Now grill the mackerel fillets, skin up for 5 minutes, turn over, and grill for 2 minutes more. That was even easier.
Serve with the potato salad. It is very lemony so you may not need the lemon slices but they make it look good.